- Learn the importance of having working smoke alarms—they should be installed on every level of the home, outside each sleeping area, and in each bedroom
- Smoke alarms should always have working batteries
- Identify the sound a smoke alarm makes
- Emphasize the four steps to take if the smoke alarm sounds: stop what you’re doing, choose the best way out of the room, get outside quickly, and head to your meeting place
- Practice what to do if a smoke alarm starts beeping
Smoke Alarms Are Important
Teach your family the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home and how to respond in an emergency.
Objectives of This Lesson
Smoke alarms save lives. Learn the importance of having working smoke alarms at home and what to do if the smoke alarm starts beeping.
Discuss the sounds the smoke alarm makes; you can have younger students practice the sounds. Gather the students in one area and activate the smoke alarm or play the video below. Have students practice meeting in a designated safe place. Complete the Smoke Alarm Checklist together and provide each student with a copy to take home.Smoke Alarm Video
Daily Journal Optional
Following the activities at the end of the lesson, take some time to reflect on what your family has learned about smoke alarms.